Saturday, May 2, 2015

April 30, 1945: Adolph Hitler commits suicide (UPDATED)

The History Place  . . . "Hitler and his wife then went back into their private quarters while Bormann and Goebbels remained quietly nearby. Several moments later a gunshot was heard. After waiting a few moments, at 3:30 p.m., Bormann and Goebbels entered and found the body of Hitler sprawled on the sofa, dripping with blood from a gunshot to his right temple. Eva Braun had died from swallowing poison.   Hat tip to Ron Woodward; Nine Mile Falls, WA

 With only candles to light their way, war correspondents examine a 
couch stained with blood (see dark patch on the arm of the sofa) 
located inside Hitler’s bunker. 

"As Soviet shells exploded nearby, the bodies were carried up to the Chancellery garden, doused with gasoline and burned while Bormann and Goebbels stood by and gave a final Nazi salute. Over the next three hours the bodies were repeatedly doused with gasoline. The charred remains were then swept into a canvas, placed into a shell crater and buried.
Journalist Percy Knauth, left, sifts through debris in the shallow trench in the garden of the Reich Chancellery where, Knauth was told, the bodies of Hitler and Eva Braun were burned after their suicides.
"Back inside the bunker, with the Führer now gone, everyone began smoking, a practice Hitler had generally forbidden in his presence. They next began collectively plotting daring (but fruitless) escapes out of Berlin to avoid capture by the Soviets.

wolfenstein4ever.de-hitlers-bunker
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/FuehrerBunkerBerlinLocation.jpg

"On the following day, May 1, Goebbels and his wife proceeded to poison their six young children in the bunker, then went up into the Chancellery garden where they were shot in the back of the head at their request by an SS man. Their bodies were then burned, but were only partially destroyed and were not buried. Their macabre remains were discovered by the Soviets the next day and filmed, the charred body of Goebbels becoming an often seen image symbolizing of the legacy of Hitler's Reich."
The Last Will of Adolf Hitler
As I did not consider that I could take responsibility, during the years of struggle, of contracting a marriage, I have now decided, before the closing of my earthly career, to take as my wife that girl who, after many years of faithful friendship, entered, of her own free will, the practically besieged town in order to share her destiny with me. At her own desire she goes as my wife with me into death. It will compensate us for what we both lost through my work in the service of my people.
What I possess belongs - in so far as it has any value - to the Party. Should this no longer exist, to the State; should the State also be destroyed, no further decision of mine is necessary.
My paintings, in the collections which I have bought in the course of years, have never been collected for private purposes, but only for the extension of a gallery in my home town of Linz on Donau.
It is my most sincere wish that this bequest may be duly executed.
I nominate as my Executor my most faithful Party comrade,
Martin Bormann

He is given full legal authority to make all decisions.
He is permitted to take out everything that has a sentimental value or is necessary for the maintenance of a modest simple life, for my brothers and sisters, also above all for the mother of my wife and my faithful co-workers who are well known to him, principally my old Secretaries Frau Winter etc. who have for many years aided me by their work.
I myself and my wife - in order to escape the disgrace of deposition or capitulation - choose death. It is our wish to be burnt immediately on the spot where I have carried out the greatest part of my daily work in the course of a twelve years' service to my people.
Given in Berlin, 29th April 1945, 4:00 A.M.
[Signed] A. Hitler
[Witnesses]
Dr. Joseph Goebbels
Martin Bormann
Colonel Nicholaus von Below
 

 
The mystery of Hitlers skull  " A piece of skull with a bullet hole through it that Russian officials claimed belonged to Adolf Hitler actually came from a woman, scientists at the University of Connecticut have concluded.

"The cranium fragment is part of a collection of Hitler artifacts preserved by Soviet intelligence in the months after Hitler and Eva Braun reportedly committed suicide in a Berlin bunker in April 1945.
"The collection, now housed in the Russian State Archive in Moscow, also includes bloodstained pieces of the sofa where Hitler reportedly shot himself after taking a cyanide pill. The artifacts were put on display in 2000." . . .

Site of Hitler's Bunker today
For years, people have desperately wanted to believe Hitler was alive. Everywhere there were rumors such as this:


UPDATE: Video proof! Hitler, Himmler and von Ribbentrop flee to England, live undercover with British family. Replaced inactive video.


3 comments:

Ronbo said...

Very Professional job on the death of Hitler! I was stationed with the United States Army Security Agency Field Station Berlin during 1974 to 1977.

In those Cold War days, West Berlin was still an occupied city completely surrounded by a hideous wall built by the Communist...THE WALL finally fell in 1989 with the collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe and Germany once again became one nation.

the Tunnel Dweller said...

Yeah, I forget; was it Reagan or some Democrat who got them to take the wall down?

Ronbo said...

The Germans tore it down after East and West Germany were re-united in 1990.

The damn thing was so well built it took them years and a major destruction effort to make it happen.

The last Allied troops, the Americans - departed Berlin in 1994 with their heads held high to the cheers of the Berliners who had by then formed such a close relationship with the Yanks since 1945, they often called American soldiers in the city, "our boys."

Berlin is now the undivided capital of the German Federal Republic with a constitution modeled on the U.S. Constitution.

My old base in the city? Andrew's Barracks was returned to the German government and it is now used to house the files captured from the dread STASI (East German Secret Police) who not only had a dossier on all East Germans, but West Germans and Americans as well.

When I visited Berlin in the late 1990s, I discovered the STASI did have a file on me as a member of Army Intelligence with pictures of me coming in and out of the base.

This was pretty standard for all members of any type of Western Intelligence in Cold War Berlin.