Friday, July 3, 2015

Why you should stop waving the rainbow flag on Facebook

 "Armchair allies shouldn't co-opt gay pride." says this gay writer

WaPo
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was one of 26 million who changed his profile picture after the Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling on Friday. (Facebook)
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was one of 26 million who changed his profile picture after the Supreme Court’s gay marriage ruling on Friday. (Facebook)

"This past weekend, I saw more rainbow flags than I had previously seen in the 26 years of my life combined. Everything – the White House, corporate logos, and especially my Facebook feed – suddenly was covered in the colors of gay pride. Since Friday, an astonishing 26 million people have overlain their profile pictures with semitransparent rainbow stripes, a feature Facebook created to celebrate gay pride after the Supreme Court’s historic ruling in favor of same-sex marriage.
But the more flags I saw last weekend, the more uncomfortable I felt." . . .

 
. . . "That’s why it wasn’t comforting to see hundreds of my Facebook friends’ profile pictures draped in rainbows. It didn’t feel like they were understanding my struggle; it felt like they were cheapening it, celebrating a victory they had no part in winning." . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is something that I have struggled with as well. I wrote quite a lengthy Facebook post about this very issue, after friends and relatives used that rainbow covering over their avatar. What I found particularly offensive is the fact that the gay community expect us to celebrate their victory. I cannot do that, simply because the SCOTUS did not define a Constitutionally-protected right for gays, but simply sought to redefine something that never defined -- God defined marriage, based on one judge's feeling that gays should have a right to dignity. Where does that come from? The Constitution says nothing about the right to dignity, although that is something the liberals have sought since the 1940s. Next comes retribution against any church or christian that dares to speak out against homosexuality. Where does it end? What baseline will my grandkids and great grandkids use to justify their morals? The undermining of American moral values just keeps on going. I fear for our beloved country and will not celebrate our loss of our moral compass.