Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Leftists erase the virtues of kindness and service to others -

 Bookworm Room

Both the Barbie movie and the upcoming Snow White remake reveal how feminism is attacking qualities that make a society livable.


"Leftists are celebrating the new Barbie movie, and conservatives are attacking it for the same reason: It’s a celebration of feminism based on the contention that all of the world’s ills come about because men are toxic. That’s it. That’s the movie in a nutshell. It’s a movie that works to separate men and women by making each intensely dislike the other.

"I think that’s terribly sad because I like men. I’m not speaking in a sexual sense. I’m simply saying that I like men, and I like them because they’re not women. This is not to denigrate women. I’ve always had wonderful friendships with women and they’ve all added to the pleasure I get from life.

"But I like men, too. I like the way they look, I like their strength, I like the different way they view the world and, when they’re well-adjusted, I like the fundamental kindness they show me. They’re not bitchy (women so are), and they’re instinctively protective. This protection also includes courage because you cannot protect someone if you are too fearful to act.

"That’s what men — healthy men in a healthy society — bring to women. And what do women bring to men? Frankly, nurturing and kindness. And that’s what you see in the original Disney princess movies.

"Contrary to feminists, in the old Disney princess movies, the women were not just waiting to be saved. Indeed, one of the striking things about the old movies is what a small role the men play. Even in Sleeping Beauty, which gives the prince a more proactive role, the important character is Sleeping Beauty, and that’s true despite her…well, sleeping.

"What these princesses were doing was being kind and nurturing despite extremely difficult circumstances. I’ve written for years that kindness is an incredibly important virtue that’s too often denigrated or ignored in America. But honestly, can you think of a single interaction with someone kind that left you feeling worse about life? Was there a time when you were tired or sad that you resented someone nurturing you?

"Whether it’s Snow WhiteCinderella, or even Pollyanna, the message the Disney movies send is this: If you are kind, moral, and caring, you make of yourself a person who is worthwhile." . . . 

No comments: