Monday, November 4, 2013

Kirsten Powers: “evangelical Christianity, which I held in particular contempt”


 
Kirsten Powers' Christianity Today article: Fox News' Highly Reluctant Jesus Follower   "Of all people surprised that I became an evangelical Christian, I'm the most surprised."
 
 
"After college I worked as an appointee in the Clinton administration from 1992 to 1998. The White House surrounded me with intellectual people who, if they had any deep faith in God, never expressed it. Later, when I moved to New York, where I worked in Democratic politics, my world became aggressively secular. Everyone I knew was politically left-leaning, and my group of friends was overwhelmingly atheist.
"I sometimes hear Christians talk about how terrible life must be for atheists. But our lives were not terrible. Life actually seemed pretty wonderful, filled with opportunity and good conversation and privilege. I know now that it was not as wonderful as it could have been. But you don't know what you don't know. How could I have missed something I didn't think existed?"

No comments: