Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Dershowitz suing CNN for $300 million in defamation suit

 The Hill


"Attorney Alan Dershowitz has filed a $300 million defamation suit against CNN, alleging a "willful, deliberate, malicious effort" to destroy his credibility, with the longtime Harvard Law School professor charging the network selectively edited a tape of his remarks during President Trump's impeachment trial earlier this year.

" 'What CNN did here, and it pains me to say this because ... I have friends over there, what they did is they just totally doctored the tape," Dershowitz told Fox News host Sean Hannity late Tuesday.

" 'If they had just shown the part where I said 'if he does anything illegal he can be impeached,' " he continued. "But they doctored the tape to take that out."

" 'I'm doing this to hold them accountable," he later added. "They made a deliberate, willful decision, we believe from the very top, to purposely doctor the tape to make it look like I said something that was crazy, that a president can do anything, that he can commit crimes. Of course I never said that — I don’t believe it. I spent an hour in front of the Senate two days earlier saying if the president commits a crime, he can be impeached and that was a whole thesis of my presentation.

" 'CNN knew that and they doctored the tape and edited the tape to make me say exactly the opposite. Shame on them," Dershowitz concluded." . . .

No comments: