Friday, December 10, 2021

I Miss The 1960's Funny Pages

 Dark Angel Politics

Over fifty years later and nothing has changed, except that there aren’t enough Hairless Joes on our side to protect statues, businesses and citizens from “underprivileged” youths and grownups.

. . ."One of my favorites is a daily comic strip from George Herriman’s Krazy Kat in 1940. The ongoing Krazy Kat saga was about a female cat who loves a mouse who continually punishes her by throwing bricks at her head. The more he hurts her, the more she loves him. I was so fascinated by the underlying themes and Herriman’s surreal imagery that I wrote a college thesis on it. I think Krazy is an archetypal Democrat.

"Another favorite on my wall is a daily strip from Walt Kelly’s Pogo, whose characters resided in the Okefenokee Swamp (which I thought was a fictitious place until I moved to Florida). “We have met the enemy and he is us”, is Pogo’s iconic phrase, so apropos today. My favorite character was LBJ doing a cameo as a masked man with the rear end of a horse, known as “The Loan Arranger”. That cracked me up. Even back then at my tender age I realized he was the most criminally corrupt president America had ever endured, pre-Barry Soetoro Obama of course.. . .

No comments: