Thursday, January 12, 2017

How Can We Miss a President Who Won’t Go Away?

WSJ  "Obama plans to stay in Washington. The capital city’s namesake took a different approach."


Video added by the Tunnel Dweller


. . . "Most former presidents return to where they came from and fade into the background, re-emerging in the capital mostly for ceremonial occasions. If they’ve served two full terms, the norm is to express relief, at least publicly, at the lifting of the office’s great burdens after eight long years.
"George Washington put it this way in his 1796 Farewell Address: “Not unconscious in the outset of the inferiority of my qualifications . . . every day the increasing weight of years admonishes me more and more that the shade of retirement is as necessary to me as it will be welcome.”
"Mr. Obama is different. If the Constitution allowed it, he most certainly would have sought a third term. In a year-end interview with his former aide David Axelrod, the president said he thought he would have beaten Donald Trump. At the top of his Tuesday farewell speech, the audience chanted “Four more years! Four more years!” His response: “I can’t do that”—not eight is enough. Almost an hour later, near the end of his soliloquy, Mr. Obama declared: “I won’t stop. In fact, I will be right there with you, as a citizen, for all my remaining days.' ”. . .

Political Cartoons by Lisa Benson

The one act that defined President Barack Obama . . . "I will simply recount the one lasting legacy of Barack Obama that will always be emblazoned in my memory.  When I think of him, I will think of this.  When I reflect on his promised era of hope and change, I will be drawn to this image." . . .
Charles Krauthammer once remarked, "They're not even the big sisters of the poor."

But in my mind, it will be Obama's barricading open air memorials during the "shutdown" and -of course - his actions against Israel. Both vengeful, vindictive acts of a spoiled, juvenile-ish petulant man. TD

No comments: