Wednesday, August 3, 2022

A vulgar commercial on Tucker Carlson tells a very good story

"I watch Tucker Carlson regularly. I don't always agree with him, but I find him engaging and informative.  However, when the show cuts to commercials, I hit the mute button.  Today, I couldn't find the clicker and found myself watching a Gillette Venus commercial celebrating pubic hair, something I found vulgar.  However, my attitude changed when I realized why I was watching this ad: it's a signal that advertisers are recognizing that, if they want to reach Democrats in the coveted (because profitable) 25–54 demographic, they must advertise on Tucker.

"The commercial is not obscene.  As I said, it's just vulgar.  If my kids were still young, I would not be very happy to have the news interrupted by a commercial focused on "pubes" and having singing pubic hairs on the beach:


. . ."This ad, though, is defiantly directed to young people, and not stodgy young people, either.  So why would Gillette (which ran into trouble with conservatives over its embrace of so-called transgenderism and "toxic masculinity") buy ad time to cater to edgy young women and, I guess, young men?  The answer is, they're buying ads because you go where the customers are."

No comments: