Friday, July 29, 2016

Lockdown: A Teacher's Thoughts

Image result for Against Gun Control

"I wondered as I sat alone in my car driving home later that day: since gun laws will stop no motivated criminal, why do they really want us defenseless?"
Mary Anne Marcella
"The "gun violence" and Sandy Hook speakers at the Democrat Convention reminded me of a recent event that took place in my own school.  Toward the end of the school year, an announcement came over the loudspeaker that I had never heard: "we are in lockdown.  This is not a drill."  A teacher stuck her head in my classroom.  "Lockdown.' "
. . . 
"At that crucial moment, it occurred to me that the only way for me to have even a chance of protecting myself and my children against an armed intruder was with a gun."
". . .  But if the chance of tragedy is so slim, why even pass these laws?  "Because if it saves just one life, it's worth it."  This doesn't answer the real question: how am I to protect myself and those I am responsible for if left defenseless against a gunman?" . . .

No comments: