Sunday, July 28, 2019

Beauty queen speaks the truth: ‘Coming out as conservative is harder than coming out as gay’

Lifesite News 



 "July 23, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) — When a beauty queen was stripped of her Miss Michigan title because her old social media postings were deemed “offensive, insensitive and inappropriate,” she declared, “Coming out as a conservative is way harder than coming out as gay in today's society.”
"Kathy Zhu tweeted a screenshot last Friday of an email she had received from the pageant’s governing organization, explaining that her title had been revoked after tweets had been discovered concerning her “refusal to try on a hijab.”
“ 'The Miss World America Organization strips conservative activist Kathy Zhu of her Miss Michigan title for refusing to wear a hijab and ‘insensitive’ social media posts,” read a tweet by Fox & Friends First." . . .


. . . "“It is honestly sad that the left refers to statistics and facts as racist and insensitive,” Zhu said in a statement to The Independent, UK. 
“I am very glad that I now have the opportunity to speak out about the unjust treatment of conservatives,” continued the University of Michigan student.  
"Zhu, who was just old enough to vote in the 2016 Presidential election, also appeared in a YouTube video titled “Why this 18-year-old is voting for Donald Trump.”
"Zhu is 100 percent correct. I should know; I’ve done both.  
"I agree with Zhu: Coming out as conservative is far harder than coming out as gay. I should know; I’ve done both.  
"I “came out” as gay after my wife and I divorced in the late 1990s. I was amazed at the acceptance I experienced. No one condemned me or my predilections.  
"My experience “coming out as a conservative” to other gays, lesbians, and my liberal neighbors and colleagues, on the other hand, was often exceedingly unpleasant. 
"As I began forming friendships with other gay men in the Washington, D.C. area, one thing quickly became very clear to me: I had better keep my political and social opinions to myself. Or else.
"When I began dating a man who was related to a powerful Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives, he felt obligated to disclose the fact up front as if it might be a deal-breaker. I felt sorry for him: The look on his face was pained, as if he were confessing some unforgivable crime. He was astounded when I congratulated him and told him I thought his cousin was one of the best men in Congress. " . . . 

No comments: