Monday, December 13, 2010

Does the Muslim World Have Political Cartoons?

Slate  "Tehran is among the most aggressive regimes when it comes to the censorship of political cartoons."....
"In 2000, Nikahang Kowsar drew another Ayatollah who had repeatedly attacked the press as a crocodile squeezing the life out of a journalist. While Kowsar insisted to authorities that the crocodile wasn't intended to represent any individual, the Ayatollah's name (Mesbah) rhymed with the Persian word for crocodile (Temsah). Kowsar spent seven days in Tehran's infamous Evin prison, and has since fled to Canada."

 NIKAHANG KOWSAR  writes: "As a political cartoonist forced to leave the country in 2003 after receiving a death threat, I should probably hate the rulers in Iran. Though I am not a big fan, I love them for all of their rich contributions to material for me and my colleagues. Truly, how can I hate the people who have kept my cartooning spirit alive?"  Here his work depicts an Iranian's view of Obama's outreach to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad:

















PBS.org

No comments: