Friday, December 2, 2011

Plea for financial help by someone in Africa

This came to me yesterday. I cannot believe this kind of stuff still goes around, but regrettably, it must be because it still works and Americans are still being fooled by obvious scams of this sort. This came from someone calling themselves "Mrs. Alice Aka" and their email address is cmd99510@pop28.odn.ne.jp.
This is the message, which I'm sure most of you have seen some variation of at other times:
Hello my dear,
How is your day!! hope you are having a great day!!. I am Mrs. Alice Aka, I'm 42 years old of age from North Africa, and presently I am residing in the refugee camp here in Accra Ghana (in Western Africa) as a result of the civil war in my country LIBYA now. My Late husband Aka Saad was the managing director and CEO of (an oil company) Arabian Gulf Oil Company.
The rebels attacked our house during the crisis and killed my husband,that is why I ran for my dear life with the help of the United Nation and Red Cross Charity Society i managed to make my way to this country Ghana where i am living now in the refugee camp as a refugee, my husband deposited the sum $40.5Million in a Security Company here in Ghana which i want invest abroad.
Should you be interested to help me receive the money and invest it for me
Kindly get back to me, your earliest response to this mail will be highly appreciated.
I await hearing from you soonest
sincerely yours
grinningplanet.com
Mrs. Alice Aka,
If you know those who are prone to being fooled by scams such as these, you may want to refer them to some of these links:

AARP .org/scams  "Have you ever been given a "great offer" or a "hot tip" on an investment? Such investments, while tempting, can be risky. Following these five tips can help you keep your money safe from scammers and aggressive sales people."

 Consumer Fraud Reporting  "If you have observed a scam or been the victim of a scam, spam or fraud and want to report it for enforcement, here is a list of where to report different types of scams in the US, UK, Canada and many other countries. In some cases there is more than one agency to contact.  Some scams fit into more than one category, also."

Latest Email Hoaxes - Current Internet Scams - Hoax-Slayer  You may want to bookmark this one because it covers a wide range of hoaxes. Here is the site for the FBI. (Or you could just email Eric Holder directly and he will jump right on it.)
"If you receive unsolicited e-mail offers or spam, you can forward the messages to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov. (Which is where I sent this email)
"Below are some recent scams and warnings."  More....

Here are other links you may find helpful:
http://www.scambusters.org/email-scams.html
http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/emailscams_0905.pdf
http://www.emailscammers.com/
http://www.thereporteronline.net/atf.php?sid=27127  Fake Facebook scams discussed.
http://forum.cartoon-world.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25703
Here is a source for your own research: Google search

I'm sure most of you would not be fooled by this, but do you have people you look after who are vulnerable and easily deceived by this sort of scheme? Hope this helps; it's a jungle out there.
The Tunnel Dweller

1 comment:

Ronbo said...

I understand many of these scams come from Nigeria and this fact is well known to Homeland Security.

Why am I not surprised the Obama Administration is doing nothing?