Saturday, January 27, 2018

Bold About What?

Mike Adams


"Every now and then, I visit other churches in order to see what kinds of traditions they observe and what kinds of issues they tackle in their weekly worship services. Last weekend, I visited a nondenominational church. As I write this column on a Thursday morning, I am on my fourth day of trying to figure out what the pastor actually said, if anything. To be frank, I suspect that the pastor is still trying to figure out what he actually said, if anything.

"The thesis of the sermon, which was given to a church heavily populated with college students, seems to have been that Christians need to be “bold in their faith.” I only inferred that was the pastor’s thesis because he said, “you need to be bold in your faith” about 50 times. Apparently, this was deeply inspirational to many of those present. It must have been because I kept hearing people shout back at the pastor with phrases like “tell it,” "bring it,” and “preach it.” Fortunately, none of the congregants actually hurled his undergarments on the stage as the pastor was “bringing it.” For awhile there, I was worried.

"Even though people seemed to be enjoying themselves, I saw the pastor’s message as a lost opportunity. Something seemed to be missing to me. So I did what I often do in situations where I think the pastor may have missed the mark. I asked myself what I would have done differently had I been preaching the sermon. Specifically, what would I have said? Here’s what I came up with: . . . "

Full article here.

No comments: