Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Urban legend; Julie Andrews Singing an Age-Related Parody of the Song, "My Favorite Things"-Fiction!

Truth or Fiction  "The eRumor describes a 69th birthday event on October 1 at which singer/actress Julie Andrews sang a humorous rendition of My Favorite Things, a song she helped make famous in the film The Sound of Music. The eRumor says the event was at Radio City Music Hall in New York and was a benefit concert for AARP." The email quoting hilarious song which Ms. Andrews is reported to have sung went like this:
Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favorite things

Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache, When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.
(Ms. Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted over four minutes and repeated encores. Please share Ms. Andrews' clever wit and humor with others who would appreciate it.)
"The Truth:
"Julie Andrew's birth date is indeed October 1 and her 69th birthday was in 2004. This eRumor started circulating in 2005.
"The problem is that none of the story is true.
"There was no performance by Julie Andrews in 2004 at the Radio City Music Hall and to our knowledge she has never sung the humorous age-related parody of the words from the song My Favorite Things."
Snopes has much more to this story, sadly.   Their site does not enable cutting and copying, so you should go to the link for the rest of the regrettable story of Ms. Andrews' lost voice.

You can hear Andrews discuss the loss of her voice here.

No comments: