Monday, April 6, 2015

He descended into Hell

"On this Easter Sunday, I wanted to share some thoughts I had during these past days about the most recent butchery of my fellow Christians in Kenya.

"Following the news as closely as I do, I thought I had become accustomed to graphic images of terror that ISIS has spawned. Then, I saw this tweet:  
. . .
 "I was punched in the gut.

"Perhaps it is because I recall my step-daughter, whose graduation I attended just a few short years ago? She was so vibrant, and fulled with life and prospects for a happy, healthy and successful future.


"Now, 148 families will not get to experience the same joy. Evil has extinguished 148 young students who would have contributed so very much to their families, community and nation.

"Perhaps it is because my son is now talking about going to college, and has mentioned several Catholic universities as possibilities? As I read this passage from a news report, I mentally placed my boy in this situation:" . . .
. . .
"Social media tools have ensured that nearly all Christians are aware that they are potential martyrs at the hands of Islamic terror agents. And while “sainthood by martyrdom” is an option, personally I would prefer Pope Francis highlight our Warrior Saints.

"This time, the Christians would not be fighting to make unwilling converts, but to defend ourselves from evil. I want to see the evil perpetuated by ISIS and other radicalized adherents to be vanquished completely.

"I was reminded yesterday that Jesus Christ descended into Hell. Sadly, hell has come to earth. I spent Holy Saturday praying for Kenya’s martyrs, and vow to do the same for innocents who die at the hands of terrorists next year. Hopefully, that list will be shorter next year."
Perhaps it is because I am angry, because family pizza joints in this country are easy targets for religious-tolerance campaigns by members of the “Church of Perpetual Outrage”? This butchery should be the type of event that inspires activism.
Appallingly, despite the coverage, President Obama failed to mention the fact Christians were targeted in his formal statement on Kenya.
Soon we go to our granddaughter's high school graduation and visit our two grandsons at Ball State and Indiana U. I feel the urge right now to hug each one and not let them go. TD

No comments: