Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Michelle Wolf: In her own words; an interesting take from this conservative

Peter Barry Chowka at American Thinker  "My first take on seeing the live broadcast of Michelle Wolf's comic speech at this year's White House Correspondents' Association dinner at the Washington Hilton last Saturday was revulsion and disgust.  Like many conservatives, I felt as though this was the intolerable last straw of an elitist left-wing mainstream media gone bonkers."
. . . 

"One reason I was initially repulsed by Wolf was her delivery: her voice has that quality of fingernails on a blackboard.  (She referenced and made fun of that during her speech.)  It's the same reason I have a hard time actually watching Rachel Maddow: her off-putting affect.  Reading the Wolf transcript as I listened to her again, I got a different impression.  Yes, her routine was raw and crude.  But working with the transcript, I saw parts that were funny and original.  Disclosure: I am not a fan of 99% of modern comedy and never watch Comedy Central or the late-night shows on broadcast television.  My touchstones of comedy are classic comedians like George Burns and Gracie Allen, Jack Benny, and most recently Seinfeld.


"Wolf did make fun of CNN, MSNBC, Megyn Kelly, and others on the left – although probably two thirds of her jokes were aimed at the right.  And the latter were more cutting.
"Even so, I am thinking now that we may be making too much of this episode.  Speech is supposed to be free, after all, and if we can't take a joke – even a questionable, bad joke – well, what then?
"I'm interested to know if people who read the transcript think I might have a point here or agree with my cats that I've lost my mind.
"[Editor's note: Be warned that the following transcript contains uncensored profanity and other crude language.]" . . .


No comments: