Friday, March 16, 2012

Moroccan girl commits suicide after being forced to marry her rapist

AL ARABIYA NEWS  "Traumatized by the painful experience of rape, Amina decided to end her life by consuming rat poison in the house of her husband’s family, according to the Moroccan daily al-Massae.   
Mustafa Fallaq, the rapist/
husband, of Amina al-Filali.
 
"According to the newspaper, this type of forced marriage is rooted in local rural traditions to safeguard the honor of girls who are raped. 
"Moroccan penal code exempts a rapist from punishment if he agrees to marry his victim. 
"“When the judge said they will marry, I did not agree, but I could not challenge the law. I wanted that man (the rapist) to go to prison,” Lahsan al-Filali, Amina’s father, told the 2M.
"“At first I did not agree to this marriage, but when the court of family affairs called me and pressured me, I agreed,” he added.
"Feminists have long demanded an amendment to this article. "

No comments: