Saturday, January 31, 2015

In Defense of the Right to Shame Gluten-free Hipsters

Katherine Timpf at NRO
"A blogger with Celiac disease has launched a petition demanding that NBC pull a NASCAR Superbowl ad that makes fun of the gluten-free diet trend because some people really do have to avoid gluten and therefore it’s too offensive.
You see . . . I don’t think we’re soft or weak as the ad implies,” the blogger, who calls himself Gluten Dude,writes. “I don’t think we’re part of the problem. I think we’re a pretty strong bunch who just wants the world to move on to something else and let us handle our disease as we wish.”
. . .
"Shame them. Shame me (I’ll be fine!). Hell, even shame NBC, but don’t ask them to remove the ad just because you don’t like the joke. I ate bread today. I even plan on doing it again, and there are some people out there who would shame me for that. Please let me (and NBC/NASCAR!) keep the right to shame them back."

No comments: