Friday, June 10, 2011

A former liberal writes: "The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture"

The David Mamet Interview      "David Mamet, for the economy of time here, is a traditional Hollywood liberal who is no longer and has written a book about his conversion and transformation -- and it is fascinating. I spent close to 45 minutes with him yesterday afternoon after the program discussing this conversion and how it happened, what inspired it and who the people were. It is a wonderful book for those of us who are conservative, because we look at liberals and have a question: "How can they, A, think the way they do? How can they, B, think the way of us that they do?" This is just a wonderful work in the conversion process. Mr. Mamet did it on his own. I mean, he was influenced by people but he did the work. Who were the people? What were the catalysts that made you even question your liberalism?"

Mr. Mamet's March 11, 2008 column in the Village Voice: David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'An election-season essay.
"What about the role of government? Well, in the abstract, coming from my time and background, I thought it was a rather good thing, but tallying up the ledger in those things which affect me and in those things I observe, I am hard-pressed to see an instance where the intervention of the government led to much beyond sorrow."
....
"I began reading not only the economics of Thomas Sowell  (our greatest contemporary philosopher) but Milton Friedman, Paul Johnson, and Shelby Steele, and a host of conservative writers, and found that I agreed with them: a free-market understanding of the world meshes more perfectly with my experience than that idealistic vision I called liberalism."

No comments: