Saturday, January 21, 2012

Burkha Barbies on sale at the Riyadh Toys-al-Us

Toy-maker Mattel  

Surely there is something in between Burkhas and girls dressing like hookers.

http://www.theculture.net/barbie/
"Simon Tyszko’s Suicide Bomber Barbie conflates Western commodification with Palestinian desperation. Religious and capitalist dogmas struggle within Barbie’s idealised form, in an artwork of potent incongruity. It is a work whose political stridency is tempered by a well placed humour."  
Put that on your flower beds. Liberal artists can be so full of BS.

This post began as a fun, satirical entry, but when doing an internet search on the topic, one is led to this more serious point of view:
Why Palestinian children die  "Om Mohammed helps her twelve-year-old son Abu Ali with a toy suicide bomber belt he fashioned on his own. 
" "I hope to be a Martyr...I hope when I get 14 or 15 to explode myself." His mother is proud of her son: "God gave him to me to protect and defend our homeland." "


Much here.  
Then if you enjoy children, there is this adorable schoolroom video from Palestinian Media Watch:


Now that Suicide Bomber Barbie isn't so funny, is it?  Someone once said, "Lord, help me make my enemies look ridiculous", but it can get hard to do.  Though I did enjoy these balloons at a parade in Germany:

No comments: