Sunday, January 8, 2012

New website about the battlefield of Gettysburg

Battle of Gettysburg Buff    (If that link fails to work, try this one.)
I discovered this site through a Facebook link here.  The Facebook page originates in the UK and is a roundtable for those in Great Britain who are students of the American Civil War, but many of us Yanks like to visit there including Randy Drais, the webmaster of this site. Randy  writes this about his new website:


..."Why? As a descendant of a Union soldier wounded at Gettysburg and fortunate enough to live only 30 miles away from the battlefield during my entire life, I have traversed various areas of the battlefield and town on my own or on "Battle Walks" conducted by National Park Service Rangers over 350 times, and yet I am still able to find new areas and topics to learn about and explore. That then, is the intent of this website --- to help provide you with new areas and topics to learn about and explore !!!
      You will also find more than 900 photographs and over 100 links scattered throughout my website, in addition to a page devoted to listing, in what I think is in an organized fashion, other websites of interest. I will continue to expand this website by adding pages, topics, photographs, and links, as well as updating information and photographs when necessary."



Mr. Drais gives us pictures of the old, ugly Cyclorama building...
...and the new one:


I also found this UK Civil War website very interesting as well.

2 comments:

Ronbo said...

@Bill:

Excellent article on the Battle of Gettysburg...

Don't you think 2012 is turning into a new Gettysburg?

the Tunnel Dweller said...

I'm too much of a pessimist to think the left's cause will now fade. And it remains to be seen if we will elect a Lincoln or a McClelland.