Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Here’s how the smear machine works

Volokh Conspiracy via the WaPo   "Just yesterday I was pointing out that many people were misled about the content of George Will’s column on sexual assault  by left-wing sites that manufactured outrage by putting a wholly inaccurate headline on a blog piece that proceeded to misrepresent what Will wrote."

"Now it’s my turn. Here’s the Gawker headline:  Law Professor: Only Prostitutes Would Directly Say “Yes” to Sex

"The law professor in question is me.  What I actually wrote, in the context of discussing why no jurisdiction in the U.S. has adopted an explicit consent standard like the one I was commenting on, because it’s absurdly overbroad and would make almost every adult American guilty of sexual assault, is that “the vast, vast majority of ‘sexual contact or behavior’ is initiated with only *implicit consent.*
...
So you can see how the headline is false on multiple levels* but it certainly provides clickbait for Gawker.  I hardly expect an apology from Gawker because that’s just what they do there.

I place this also under the heading of demagoguery. I saw Candidate Obama do it often with McCain and Romney's words.

It worked for Thad Cochran over Chris McDaniel
This is how those supporting voter ID will be portrayed by liberals:

No comments: