Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Gaza: What Could the Press Corps Have Done Differently?

Honest Reporting
transparency-620x348
"The interviewer, Kate Bolduan, wasn’t representing the mainstream media, but she was prepared ahead of time to defend CNN’s work."
 


... "So what do I think reporters should be doing better? I’ll sum it up in a 12-letter word.

"Transparency.

"Transparency demands that reporters be frank with their audiences about the circumstances they work under, and the methodology they use to gather and verify information.

"I haven’t seen many journalists openly say things like “Hamas doesn’t allow reporters to . . .” or, “Some people from Hamas threatened me when . . . .”

"I haven’t seen statements such as, “These casualty figures are based on Gaza health officials who are employed by Hamas.”

"I haven’t seen any reporters point out that Hamas hasn’t released the names of any of its fallen combatants, nor have I seen coverage of the Gaza funerals reflecting that the dead person may have been a combatant. Do journalists only go to the funerals of children?" ...

No comments: