Friday, September 29, 2017

The Idiot’s Guide to Censorship

Mike Adams

The Idiot’s Guide to Censorship

"Some college students know nothing about the First Amendment. I mean that literally. For example, a student recently complained to me that the police had violated his First Amendment rights by pulling him over without a warrant. First Amendment, Fourth Amendment, whatever! As annoying as the complete constitutional illiterate can be, I am perhaps more annoyed by those who have some familiarity with the First Amendment and therefore conclude that they are constitutional scholars. 

"These semi-literate clowns email me pretty often. Just last week, one of them wrote to complain that I had blocked him on Twitter. According to this budding constitutional scholar, this was somehow inconsistent with my support for free speech in general and my opposition to safe spaces in particular. Those of you who had civics in high school are instantly able to spot the flaw in his reasoning. But since so many of my millennial readers are not likely to have benefited from a basic civics class, I’ll spend this column slowly explaining this common error. Here goes.

"I regularly attack public universities for creating “safe zones” or “safe spaces” because they so often violate the First Amendment. For example, my university, UNC-Wilmington, established an LGBTQIA Office on our public university campus in 2010.

"As soon as it was established, the director started to host religious programing, which asserted that the Bible endorsed homosexuality. Worse, she condemned dissenters as homophobic bigots. Some local pastors were also bothered by the fact that she had characterized many of their churches as unwelcoming to gays. 

"Several pastors offered to come to the office to express a contrary point of view. But they were flatly prohibited from doing so. " . . .

No comments: