Monday, October 16, 2023

Once, the Cousin of Daniel Pearl Was a Peace Advocate: Read His Powerful Story of Confronting Darkness

And it seems Mr. Benjamin isn't the only one who sees through the propaganda to the reality. As Nick Arama informed us only this morning, none other than Senator Chuck Schumer, he of threatening the Supreme Court fame, got a taste of his own medicine, and maybe a little reality check of his own. And Bonchie tells us how some pro-Hamas students may find their prospects dimmed when their support for horror comes to light -- and that's good. 

 RedState   "His reality check didn't happen overnight, though; it began 10 years ago, he wrote.

In March 2003, I turned 13 and celebrated my bar mitzvah in Walnut Creek, California. By Jewish tradition, I became a man. But the ceremony felt redundant; I had already grown up. Only one year earlier, my older cousin, Daniel Pearl, an investigative journalist for The Wall Street Journal, was kidnapped and beheaded by Islamist jihadis while on assignment in Pakistan.

His killers, like the Hamas killers of last weekend, proudly released a video documenting Danny’s murder. Among Danny’s last words were, “My father is Jewish. My mother is Jewish. I am Jewish.” At first, I was in shock—how had my own cousin become a player in such a large international nightmare? Why did people get murdered simply for being who they are? In this case, for being Jewish?

"Here, even at 13, Mr. Benjamin was doing what so few people today seem to do; that is, to question their own assumptions and biases. That was the beginning.

When I immigrated to Israel at the age of 18 and enlisted in the Israel Defense Forces, I was still driven by ideals. I thought I could promote more goodwill with our Palestinian neighbors. Serving in a combat unit based on the Gaza border, I witnessed the release of the kidnapped Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, held for five years by Hamas, when his freedom was exchanged for more than 1,000 Palestinian prisoners. One for 1,000. Despite my many criticisms of the Israeli government, I recognized then how much Israel valued the life of every soldier.



No comments: