'Bruce, I mean, what the heck? I used to like him, and now he's just annoying. He's an annoying, bitter old man.'
When Barack Obama opened his presidential library in Chicago last month, Bruce Springsteen was among those he invited to play at the celebratory concert.
"After years of the singer endorsing Democrats here was a former president returning the favor. It's not the first time Obama has smiled upon The Boss.
"In December 2009, the songwriter was summoned to the White House, where Obama showered him with praise. The 'quiet kid from Jersey' was, in the words of the president, 'the rock 'n' roll laureate of a generation.' His songs spoke to the souls of 'hardworking folks,' with paeans to 'dreams and despair, struggle and hope.'
"'His tours are not so much concerts but communions,' said Obama. 'When he rocked the National Mall before my inauguration, I thought it captured as well as anything the spirit of what America should be about. On a day like that, and today, I remember that I'm the president, but he's The Boss.'
"The fact that he's The Boss, and not a politician is, Springsteen's critics say, something he has forgotten. His fellow 76-year-old rocker, Jonathan Cain who plays guitar and keyboard with Journey is just one of several high-profile rockers to have called Springsteen out for his political rants and tedious preaching on stage.
"'Bruce, I mean, what the heck? I used to like him, and now he's just annoying. He's an annoying, bitter old man.'
"For Cain, it seems, The Boss has become The Bore." . . . More...
No comments:
Post a Comment