Saturday, April 7, 2018

Edward M. Kennedy: Address to the People of Massachusetts on Chappaquiddick

See also: Juan Williams's comparison to Chappaquiddick could not have been dumber  "Williams's tasteless, stupid remark shows again that leftist commentators will say anything about Republican presidents."

American Rhetoric


[AUTHENTICITY CERTIFIED: Text version below transcribed directly from audio]

"My fellow citizens:
"I have requested this opportunity to talk to the people of Massachusetts about the tragedy which happened last Friday evening. This morning I entered a plea of guilty to the charge of leaving the scene of an accident. Prior to my appearance in court it would have been [im]proper for me to comment on these matters. But tonight I am free to tell you what happened and to say what it means to me.
On the weekend of July 18th, I was on Martha's Vineyard Islandparticipating with my nephew, Joe Kennedy -- as for thirty years my family has participated -- in the annual Edgartown Sailing Regatta. Only reasons of health prevented my wife from accompanying me.
"On Chappaquiddick Island, off Martha's Vineyard, I attended, on Friday evening, July 18th, a cook-out I had encouraged and helped sponsor for a devoted group of Kennedy campaign secretaries. When I left the party, around 11:15pm, I was accompanied by one of these girls, Miss Mary Jo Kopechne. Mary Jo was one of the most devoted members of the staff of Senator Robert Kennedy. She worked for him for four years and was broken up over his death. For this reason, and because she was such a gentle, kind, and idealistic person, all of us tried to help her feel that she still had a home with the Kennedy family." . . .
Full speech here...

Hat tip to Legal Insurrection which stated; "ABC obviously published this footage because the film “Chappaquiddick” is opening this weekend.
"I will write a review of the film which will be published Sunday, right here at Legal Insurrection."

No comments: