Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mountain Monograms; is your town listed in here? Does it have it's initial on a nearby mountain?

MM  "Someone once asked me, "What is it with these Arizona towns*, putting huge letters on mountains?"
"My answer was, "Well, you see, it's the first initial of the name of the town nearest the mountain." This, evidently, was not the answer that was desired. What she was really asking was: WHY DO THEY DO IT?
"I do not know that answer. I would like to know it. Having grown up in a tiny desert town with a C on the mountain, I'd accepted it as normal behavior to put town initials on mountains. Can someone really smart tell me how this behavior started?" 

If this subject interests you, consider this book.

Is your town listed in here? Check to see, unless you live in Florida, in which case don't bother.
                                             Garibaldi, Oregon;  Boyhood home of the Tunnel Dweller

No comments: