Saturday, May 25, 2024

As a Former Working Mom, Here’s Why Harrison Butker’s Speech Doesn’t Offend Me

  Intellectual Takeout  

"In fact, I can’t help but wonder if people held motherhood in as high regard as Harrison Butker does whether society might be a better, more inclusive place for women and for mothers."

"There’s been quite a bit of controversy lately concerning Harrison Butker’s recent commencement speech, particularly his comments endorsing motherhood and homemaking. As you could probably guess, those on the left side of the political spectrum (especially feminists) have harshly criticized his remarks, and conservatives, by and large, have rushed to his defense.

"As a mother myself, while I don’t agree with everything Butker espoused (for one, I’m not Catholic like Butker), I found his sentiments concerning motherhood praiseworthy and brave, albeit perhaps hindered by some clumsy word choice.

"Here’s what Butker said about motherhood (you can read the full transcript of his speech here and my colleague’s take on the speech from a masculine perspective here):

"How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world

"I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I’m on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I’m beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker." . . .

No comments: