Sunday, July 7, 2024

How a Steam Locomotive Works (Union Pacific "Big Boy")

 Animagraffs - YouTube

First, this: Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 Westward Bound Part 2, in Rawlins, WY 6-30-24



Comments: "So what your telling me is dudes in the 1800's invented 1/2 stroke 4 cylinder engines with pistons the size of my car capable of pulling 2 mile long trains weighing thousands of tonnes. I never went through a train phase as a kid, but I'm hyped for trains now."

"It's very impressive how every part of this complex, massive machine was developed through hand calculations, trial and error, bold experimentation and also a handful of nasty accidents. The weight of the whole locomotive is huge, but it pulled trains that were many times its own weight. And once engineered and produced, it ran on just coal, water and grease. Wonderful. Top job on the animation and explanation!! A natural follow-up to the diesel-electric locomotive video, which I can also highly recommend."

No comments: